Often when we think of historical people and events, we have a tendency to divide them into neat little boxes that never touch… because let’s be honest, It’d be too weird to think that Adolph Hitler was around during the same time Charlie Chaplin was busy making the world laugh, right? Right.
So what happens when actually, we find out that, as a matter of fact, this was the case, and these two completely different personalities did walk the earth at the same time? I’ll tell you what happens… our teeny tiny minds EXPLODES because, in all honesty, we are just not well equipped to understand the sheer complexities of time itself.
Luckily for us, the wonderful people at Bored Panda have compiled an incredibly interesting list of various historical events that you won’t BELIEVE took place at more or less the same time (But believe us, they freakin’ DID!) So have a scroll down and take a look… if you think your mind can handle it!
1. America’s Tenth President (John Tyler), was born in 1790… And believe it or not, he has two living grandchildren. Yep, you read that right!
2. Marilyn Monroe and Queen Elizabeth were born in the same year (YES, the same YEAR!). And here they both are at the age of 30, meeting at a movie premiere in London during October in 1956!
3. Harriet The Tortoise (who died in 2006), had actually met Charles Darwin in person!
4. Woolly Mammoths were STILL ALIVE during the time the Egyptians were building the Pyramids (2660 BCE)
5. George Washington Died In 1799, and the first dinosaur fossil was discovered in 1824… meaning George Washington NEVER knew that dinosaurs existed!
6. Nintendo was first founded the same year Jack The Ripper was on the loose! (1889)
1889, was also the year the infamous Jack the Ripper, whose true identity has still never been discovered, was creating havoc on the streets of London. This began happening mere weeks before Nintendo came into existence.
7. Anne Frank And Martin Luther King Junior Were Also Born In The SAME. YEAR. (1929)
Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement from 1954 until he passed away in 1968 (I don’t know, maybe you’ve heard of him!?). Both of these symbols of resistance were born in the same year, 1929. Unlike Monroe and Queen Elizabeth however, these two never got to meet.
8. So er… Star Wars came out the same year as the last guillotine EXECUTION happened in France (1977)
9. The last public hanging happened in the UK in 1868… and you could catch the London Underground to go see it.
5 years earlier (in 1863), the maiden journey of the London Underground took place. There was a working station close to Newgate prison, so, basically… it is incredibly feasible that many Londoners would have caught the tube in order to watch somebody get hanged. Something to think about on your next commute, eh?
10. Two of the world’s truest treasures, Princess Diana and Mother Teresa, died mere days apart in 1997
11. Okay now, this one is particularly dark… prisoners began arriving at Auschwitz just days after Mcdonald’s was founded in 1940.
The very first restaurant was opened on May 15th, 1940… and just 5 days later, the first prisoners arrived at the Auschwitz concentration camp in Poland. Something to think about next time you grab yourself a Happy Meal, right?
12. Ecstasy was… weirdly enough, invented the same year the Titanic sank (1912)
It actually wasn’t until 1975 that the somewhat “psychoactive” effects of the drug began to be taken seriously, and recreational use spread like the PLAGUE thereafter.